A survey of the ruins at the deserted settlement of High Mingarry was carried out in Spring and Summer of 2008. Eighty-four buildings, dykes and other features were identified, described and their positions plotted on maps. More detailed survey of six groups of buildings was carried out by plane table to clarify the spatial relationship of the different structures within the groups and of the groups to one another.
The very ruined remains represent the last phase of occupation (1780 to 1855). The head dyke was probably altered to include more land during the long period of occupation. The area within the head dyke is subdivided into small areas by a series of dykes. Some of these internal dykes follow natural features but others are long and straight. Although Estate records between 1814-1851 show that the farm of Mingarry was let in eight parts or lots, there are not eight clearly defined areas within the head dyke. Groups of ruined buildings, each comprising one or more possible houses with byres, storage shelters and enclosures were identified in seven different sites within the head dyke. Another similar group of buildings was found outside the head dyke on the east side of the settlement.
Only six of the ruined rectangular buildings measure about 10m by 3m. internally. These were almost certainly houses. Since there were 13 houses in the settlement in 1841, many of the smaller rectangular structures are likely to have also been dwellings.The buildings are in too ruinous state to identify any barns. Curiously, no corn-drying kiln has been found. There is an unidentified circular structure on the hillside in the northwest of the settlement but it does not have the features of a kiln. It is possible that the kiln was destroyed when the late 19th century track was constructed.